Sunday, December 23, 2012

Christmas Countdown: Day 21

We've had a dramatic weekend, which has inhibited my posting. Friday dawned with excitement as we anxiously waited for Papa Bee to be done work and on Christmas holidays for 12 blissful days. But, the excitement soon turned to dread as we discovered some issues with our only vehicle. Long story short, I ended up at the side of the road in a snow storm with no power steering on our van. So, now we have a van out of commission while we try to get it fixed and keep throwing money at it. What a crappy thing to have happen so soon to Christmas when we have so much driving/visiting to do.

But, I keep trying to look on the bright side and tell myself that at least Baby and Toddler Bee weren't in the car with me; at least it wasn't a serious accident; and thankfully we have the means to get it sorted out.

We're trying not to focus on the negative and enjoy the holiday but Papa Bee is pretty stressed out.

So, with a car out of work and Papa Bee running around trying to save our van in a rental car, I was stranded at home with two little Bees. A perfect opportunity to do some more Christmas crafts!

Our crafts were a little different this day. Not so much a keepsake as a learning opportunity.

We worked with scraps of green paper to arrange Christmas trees from longest to shortest. You could, of course, paste these onto paper and decorate them, but Toddler Bee had more fun creating different trees.



After that, I drew some basic snowflake shapes (in pencil) onto a piece of paper. Then, I gave Toddler Bee a Q-Tip and some white paint and instructed him to add dots onto the lines. This one worked on following instructions (something my strong-willed toddler has issues with from time to time) and also worked on his precision and fine motor skills.






After that, I drew snowmen onto a piece of paper and gave them different colored scarves. Then, I cut out hats in similar colours and had Toddler Bee match the correct hat to the correct scarf. I forgot to take a picture of this craft, but I'm sure you get the idea.

And what better way to end some crafting than with Jelly Beans! I gave my toddler a package of jelly beans and had him sort them by their colours into piles. Then, he got to pick a colour to eat. Of course, I forgot to take a picture of this part too...










Crafts can sometimes be the perfect opportunity to teach you little ones. Really, any situation can turn into a learning opportunity!

No comments:

Post a Comment