Thursday, November 15, 2012

Meatball Soup

My husband had a wisdom tooth yanked a few days ago, so I needed to come up with some meal ideas for the week that didn't involve a lot of chewing. Obviously, soup is the perfect solution to that. And it just so happens I have enough homemade chicken stock in my freezer to open my own restaurant. Score.

So, in looking around Pinterest for some new recipe ideas I came across this soup: http://www.kitchenmeetsgirl.com/main-dishes/italian-meatball-soup-2/

To say I was skeptical was a bit of an understatement. For some reason, in my mind, meatballs and soup were not exactly to foods that go together. But I decided to give it a try.

You can find the recipe in the link above, but there were a few things I did differently.

I didn't add carrots because, well, I forgot to buy any...and anyway, I think carrots would have been weird with the rest of the soup.

I didn't follow the meatball recipe posted in the blog. I had meatballs frozen from the last time I made them and they worked perfectly with this soup.

I used sea shell pasta (I'm pretty sure that's not what it's actually called) because that's what I had.

And, I cooked the pasta in a different pot and then added it to the soup once it was ready to be served. I find that if you cook the pasta in the actual soup it sucks out a lot of flavour and doesn't reheat well. That's also a good note for when freezing soup, I usually omit the pasta when freezing and add it (cooked) once the soup is thawed.

But anyway, this soup was delicious. My husband ate two or three bowls and even my toddler, who has developed a picky eating habit lately, devoured it. This is definitely one for the recipe box. And it was pretty easy/cheap to make, too. So, that's a double win in my book!

No comments:

Post a Comment