Tuesday, July 3, 2012

Baby Toes

This weekend we had a tea party to attend and, at the last minute, I decided I wanted to paint my daughter's toenails. But, I didn't want to use my nail polish on her teeny tiny toe nails. All those harsh chemicals and whatnot. It was too late to get some Piggy Paint and, really, I didn't want to spend the $12/bottle on such a small amount of polish. So, I improvised.

I began to wonder if using food colouring would work instead. So, I grabbed a small bowl and added some drops of food colouring and used a brush to paint Baby Bee's dainty nails. The first attempt was not a good one. She moved her foot and it stained her big toe. Thankfully, it wiped off fairly easily.

For attempt two, I added about a tablespoon of water to a bowl and one drop of food colouring. Again, I used a fine paint brush. This time it was much more successful and the "polish" dried very quickly. I still had to be careful not to get it on her skin and after three coats it was still fairly light. It has been two days since then and the colour is starting to fade. But, it was a nice alternative to the other options I had.

I've started thinking about using fruits and veggies next time. I've used beet stain for other crafts but I'm not sure how it would hold up on nails. But, with a beet stain at least I would know exactly what was in it and not have to worry about what was going on Baby Bee's precious little nails!

Look at those cute little sausage toes!!!!

No comments:

Post a Comment